Monday, November 23, 2020

History Is Always Being Created And Remembered

Thanksgiving is such a special time of year. It is when we come together, cook a big meal and celebrate. One of my favorite things during Thanksgiving is to hear stories about the past. As a former history teacher, I find the stories shared by our elders to be a fascinating window into life on the farm and our different communities. I always learn so much from what their lives were like all those many decades ago.


However, this year most families will not be gathering in person. Still, there will be good food and hopefully great pie, but the coming together of large groups of people will not happen as in previous years. And the sad part is that there also may be less story telling as a result.


With the realization that history is always being created and remembered, I choose this year to write down some of my history around Thanksgiving and to share it with our family. I also hope in the coming weeks to capture some of my favorite stories shared with me about life on the farm from years past and share them with my family too.


In the midst of these challenging times, there is much to be grateful for and many blessings to be counted. Each day we have an opportunity to decide where we shall focus. Each day, we can remember the following farm wisdom shared with me so many years ago: What you feed, grows.


This week, I encourage you to write down some of your stories around Thanksgiving and to share them with those you love. We may not be together in person as a whole family but we can be there in spirit and with the written word.


May your harvest be plentiful this year and all your family, friends and animals  stay healthy. Sending blessings from our table to yours.


Geery Howe, M.A. Consultant, Executive Coach, Trainer in Leadership, Strategic Planning and Organizational Change Morning Star Associates 319 - 643 - 2257

No comments:

Post a Comment