Tuesday, November 17, 2020

A Hard Year

This has been a hard year for me. I have experienced deep loss and great joy. I have struggled with worry, anxiety and the feeling of being overwhelmed by sometimes small and inconsequential issues.


At times, life has felt like the movie “Ground Hog Day”. Wake up, shelter in place, go to bed. A Monday is no different than a Saturday. A Wednesday is no different than a Friday. It is just another day of wash, rinse and repeat. 


I know that I am not alone with how hard this year has been.


During difficult times, some people fight and some people run. I think many of us have chosen the freeze option. Fight seems exhausting. Flight seems like a lost cause, because where ever we go, COVID will be there too. Therefore, freeze seems like the best choice. This ends up looking like napping on the couch or watching silly TV programs.


But, I have learned three things so far during this hard year.


First, I need to be patient with myself and others. We are all doing our best even if we do not feel like our best some days.


Second, I need to show loving kindness to myself and others. Anger and judgement do not help. Compassion and loving kindness are always the better choice.


Third, I need to continue striving to be my best self. Even in the midst of challenges and complexities, I can make healthy choices. And being my best self is a great first choice.


This has been a hard year for me, and it has been a hard year for many of you too.


On this day, remember that you are doing your best in spite of what is happening all around us. You are also enough just the way you are. And if that means sitting on the couch with a good book or watching some goofy TV for an extra hour, that’s okay. 


One day we will live in a post pandemic world. One day, we will see each other face to face. One day, we will hug our children and grandchildren, and not worry. One day, we will sit down over an incredibly good meal and share story after story about how we coped and how we survived in 2020. Now that will be a great new beginning.


Meanwhile, hang in there. Stay strong. Stay safe. Stay healthy. And know that together we can and we will make it through this.


Geery Howe, M.A. Consultant, Executive Coach, Trainer in Leadership, Strategic Planning and Organizational Change Morning Star Associates 319 - 643 - 2257

No comments:

Post a Comment