Monday, February 18, 2019

The Importance of Presence

Raising two active and engaged children plus running my own business meant that our lives were busy all the time. Weekends were always full, especially if I had traveled most of the week before for work. As a result, there came a time period in my younger years when I just did not go to church regularly on Sunday morning. 

After skipping out for quite a long period, I decided one Sunday morning to go. When the service was over, one of the older members came up to me and said “I missed you.”

I was stunned by the comment and I guess my face showed it.

As he continued, “Your presence matters to me and to others. We not only come to worship but we also come to be support each other during worship. Your presence makes a difference. When you are not here, I notice. The circle is not complete. Please come. We need you to be a part of the whole.”

My eyes filled up with tears. I was deeply moved by his words. 

“I will come regularly on Sunday morning,” I responded. “I didn’t know that I made a difference to you and others.”

The first step of being engaged is to simply show up, to be present. The second step is being committed to the whole process and to others involved in the process. But in the end, always remember that your presence matters. You matter to more than just yourself.

This older member of our congregation has passed away now and he is missed by all of us. He was a stable and powerful presence in a word of turbulent change.

This week, I challenge you to show up and to be a steady and clear presence in your work and at home. You matter more than you will ever know to many different people in your life. You will be missed if you are not present.

Geery Howe, M.A. Consultant, Executive Coach, Trainer in Leadership, Strategic Planning and Organizational Change Morning Star Associates 319 - 643 - 2257

1 comment:

  1. This particular piece could not have come at a better time in my life. I really needed to hear these words. Thanks so much Geery.

    ReplyDelete