Monday, March 22, 2021

Being Respectful Is Powerful

The other day while listening to a very complicated situation related to executing a plan, the person who had been sharing it all with me asked what they should do next. 


My response was straight forward and direct: “Being respectful is a powerful first step.”


There was a long pause on the phone before the person responded: “That’s all?”


“Yes”, I replied. “You could become angry. You could choose to be cynical. You could even become aggressive in your demands. None of these things will achieve a great outcome in the end.”


As I continued, “Being respectful starts by recognizing that all involved were doing their best with the limited knowledge they had. When you respect them as people and affirm their dignity, they will receive your feedback and be open to new perspectives and solutions. Kindness and respect are the building blocks of trust. And trust is the foundation of teamwork. If we are wanting people to work as one team, then we must start with being respectful in the way we treat others and communicate with others.”


After another thoughtful pause, the person I was visiting shared, “That makes sense. I guess I hadn’t looked at it from that angle.”


“That’s why we visit,” I responded. “My goal is to help you reach your full potential as a leader. And respect is a good beginning.”


This week, choose respect. It is the foundation for successful results.


Geery Howe, M.A. Consultant, Executive Coach, Trainer in Leadership, Strategic Planning and Organizational Change Morning Star Associates 319 - 643 - 2257

No comments:

Post a Comment