Monday, December 21, 2020

The Clock & The Compass

“Our struggle to put first things first can be characterized by the contrast between two powerful tools: the clock and the compass”, writes the late Stephen Covey. “The clock represents our commitments, appointments, activities - what we do with, and how we manage our time. The compass represents our vision, values, principles, direction - what we feel is important and how we lead our lives.”


It is so easy during these busy days to focus on the clock and to be consumed by al our To Do lists. Gifts to be wrapped and cards to be mailed. The holidays can just be another series of things to get done and people to see via Zoom or FaceTime. It just goes on and on.


I understand the power and importance of the clock. I was taught that on-time was late and early was on-time. Therefore, I honor my commitments and work hard to be respectful of my appointments. I consciously manage my time, making sure I have ample time for deep work and deep rejuvenation. 


Still, there are times when I get worn and overwhelmed. And this is when I turn to the compass, i.e. vision, values, principles and direction. Busy can not be the sole definition of success. I am not willing to sacrifice that which is most important to things that matter least. 


On my desk, I have my late father’s compass. I see it every day when I sit down to work. It reminds me what is most important. It always points true north. No matter if my days are busy, stressful or challenging, true north does not change. In short, my father’s compass calls me to be a true north person, always true to vision, principles and direction. 


During this holiday season, I encourage you to respect your commitments and to be clear about what is most important. With the struggle of busy days all around us, let us use wisely the clock and the compass. We can and we must lead our lives if we hope to create a better world. 


May this holiday season for you and your family be filled with many blessings, great joy, and good health. From my family to yours, we send you our best and look forward to when we can be together again in the new year.


Geery Howe, M.A. Consultant, Executive Coach, Trainer in Leadership, Strategic Planning and Organizational Change Morning Star Associates 319 - 643 - 2257

No comments:

Post a Comment