Wednesday, October 21, 2020

What Gives You Hope These Days?

We were catching up via e-mail when he asked me the following question: 


“What gives you hope these days?”


My initial answer focused on being in touch with family and close friends, spending quality time with my wife, and visiting with two friends from our faith community. Yet, over time, I have continued to think about this question, and now I want to give a more in-depth answer.


So, here are some more things that give me hope in the midst of this global pandemic:


- the many young entrepreneurs I’ve met who are starting new ventures in spite of what is happening in the market place. Their creativity is inspiring.


- the many teams I hear about who come together rather than fall part when they are overwhelmed. Their commitment to each other is uplifting in a world that is so polarized. 


- the many new books written by people who are role modeling their faith and their compassion. Their willingness to speak out and speak up encourages me to find my voice and to support others to do likewise.


- the many people who work in the areas of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion. Their ability to see the worth and potential of everyone reminds me that there is that of the Divine in all people.


- the many acts of kindness that I have witnessed between parents and children. Their mutual love gives me hope about what the upcoming generation will achieve. 


- the many moments of being out in nature where I can connect with the beauty of the natural world. This reminds me that the sacred is all around us.


- the many periods of quiet reflection where I rediscover calmness in the midst of volatility. This reminds me that I am not alone in this journey and that I am stronger than I think I am. 


During the coming days, I encourage you to reflect on this question, too. What gives you hope these days? And when you have found your answer, I encourage you to share it with others. We need more hope, and to be hopeful as we move through the coming weeks and months. 


Geery Howe, M.A. Consultant, Executive Coach, Trainer in Leadership, Strategic Planning and Organizational Change Morning Star Associates 319 - 643 - 2257

No comments:

Post a Comment