Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Building Community One Person At A Time In The Midst of A Pandemic

Given current circumstances, I have spent many hours thinking about the following quote by Margaret Wheatley in her book, Who Do We Choose To Be? Facing Reality, Claiming Leadership, Restoring Sanity, Berrett-Koehler, 2017:

“It is possible, in this time of profound disruption, for leadership to be a noble profession that contributes to the common good. It is possible as we face the fearful complexity of life-destroying problems, to experience recurring moments of grace and joy. It is possible, as leaders of organizations, communities, and families, to discover deep and abiding satisfaction in our work if we choose not to flee or withdraw from reality. It is possible to find a path of contribution and meaning if we turn our attention away from issues beyond our control and focus on the people around us who are yearning for good leadership and engage them in work that is within reach. It is possible to use our influence and power to create islands of sanity in the midst of a raging destructive sea.”

The phrase, “islands of sanity”, has reverberated inside me for days. I have wondered how in this time of social distancing where so many people are feeling separated and alone whether we as leaders can actually build community even when we are all in our separate home offices. I have wondered if we can truly find and experience “recurring moments of grace and joy.” And finally, I have wondered if we can find purpose and meaning in this time of profound disruption.

There are moments for me when I listen to all of the struggles and challenges happening the world, and find myself overwhelmed by the magnitude of what is happening. At times like that, I have to step away from the office and the technology-driven media cycle, and walk outside. I need to feel the sun on my face, listen to the wind, and see the arrival of spring as the earth wakes up and remembers colors, shapes and sounds. These small actions rekindle in me my faith in people’s capacity to be generous, creative and kind. As Lindsay M. Leahy with The Restoration Project shared on her Instagram account recently, “self-care is not selfish, it is required.” I agree 100%.

With the above in mind, I think the first step to building community, i.e. an island of sanity, is to act very consciously within my own community and my own circle of influence. As President Teddy Roosevelt said so long ago, “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” There are days when I think this is not a very big action but on other days I recognize it is huge.

For example, not too long ago, I went to the grocery store to stock up on basic things like fresh fruits, veggies and, of course, toilet paper. I went to that paper products section of the store and the shelves were barren. So, I walked over to pick up a dozen eggs when a woman came out of the back of the store carrying two large packages of toilet paper. I stopped and said, “You’ve hit the jack pot. It must be your lucky day. I looked, but couldn’t find any. Congratulations!”

Later, as I walked toward the check-out aisle, I heard a voice behind me say, “Excuse me, Sir.”

I stopped and turned around. It was the same woman. She then handed me a large package of toilet paper.

“I work here every day,” she explained. “I can pick up another package on the next truck. This one is for you and your family.”

I stood there for a moment and tears filled my eyes. It was such a kind act. I whispered “thank-you” and she smiled. On that day, she showed me how such a small act of kindness can have such a big impact. My challenge is to pay it forward.

Years ago, I wrote an essay for this blog about how I believed in spring bulbs. I shared that for decades I have planted between 300 - 500 spring bulbs every fall in the flower beds around our home. Then each spring, crocus, daffodils, and tulips come up and bloom. It is a celebration of spring after a long hard Iowa winter.

This week hundreds of crocus and the very early daffodils are in full bloom. My great joy comes from watching families with young children and older couples with their dogs walk by. Everyone slows down, stops for a moment and then points to different combinations of colors. They smile and in the midst of these challenging times they are uplifted by spring’s beauty.

The outcome from this moment of slowing down to witness flowers blooming is that we feel connected to the earth and we feel connected to each other. We all may be keeping physical distance from each other but we also know on one level that we are not alone in this time of struggle and challenge. And this is one way I can create a small island of sanity within my local small town.

The other conscious choice I have been making is to thank more people for their service to the community. When I walked down to our local post office, I thanked the post master and the postal clerk for making sure we get our mail on time. I thanked our trash collector this past Friday morning when he picked up our recycling and trash bag. He was so startled he stoped working for a moment and smiled. I thanked our local police officer who was helping a truck that was stuck in the mud. I thanked the nurse up the street who works in a bone marrow transplant unit that is on lock down. And finally, I thanked our local volunteer fire chief who always answers the call, morning, noon or night. 

All of these people and many more are doing their part to keep us safe and healthy. I want them to know that I value their efforts and that they do not go unnoticed. I want them to know that they are an important part of our community and my life. 

As Margaret Wheatley wrote, “We are not broken people. It’s our relationships that need repair. It’s relationships that bring us back to health, wholeness, holiness.” With compassion and gratitude, we can build and re-build a sense of community one person at a time in the midst of this pandemic. I agree with Wheatley when she wrote, “It is the unshakable belief that human beings are worth our last ounce of energy. We make the choice to be there to preserve, protect, defend, champion, encourage, honor the human spirit.”

This morning, I encourage each of us to do the following. First, to be kind to yourself and to everyone you meet. As Linda Hogan, Native American of the Chickasaw Nation wrote: “You are the result of the love of thousands.”

Second, I encourage each of us to share our gratitude with everyone we meet. There are so many people who are making a difference right now. Let us notice their efforts and thank them for their meaningful work. 

Finally, I encourage each of us to create more moments of beauty. If you can not grow flowers, then cut out paper hearts and put them up in your windows. Let everyone know that you believe in love, kindness and compassion. Let everyone know that you value them and welcome them into your community. 

Now is the time when each of us can choose to be dear and supportive neighbors. We can choose to be members of a beloved community. We must stand together in this challenging time. 

As always, stay strong, stay healthy, stay safe, and keep in touch. I look forward to seeing you on the other side.

Geery Howe, M.A. Consultant, Executive Coach, Trainer in Leadership, Strategic Planning and Organizational Change Morning Star Associates 319 - 643 - 2257

No comments:

Post a Comment