Tuesday, January 28, 2020

The Key to Operational Excellence

Every day, people at work seek operational excellence. They want to achieve that elusive level of performance where problem solving and teamwork combine to deliver exceptional customer service and an on-going commitment to continuous improvement. Furthermore, they want this to happen every day and for it to happen all day long. 

However, life happens and not everything works out as planned. Technical and adaptive problems surface. People miscommunicate. Systems struggle to keep up with customer expectations. Supervisors struggle to prioritize. Some days everything just gets more than a bit busy and crazy.

Reflecting on over three decades of helping leaders and organizations achieve regular operational excellence, I have noticed one key that unlocks it all, namely making connections. At first, I thought this was too simplistic of an answer, but over time I have realized that every time I find continuous operational excellence I find people who have created solid connections with their colleagues. These trust based relationships are the foundation for operational excellence. 

Now, most people these days talk to me about the importance of networking and having “friends” on social media. But, I am not talking about knowing a thousand people on a superficial level. I am instead pointing out that operational excellence is built on people feeling a connection or bond with their coworkers. This sense of “we are all in this together” is built and maintained through numerous and consistent healthy interactions. It is not about having one thousand people in your contacts in your phone but instead having five to seven people who are on your “team”, however you define that concept.

With trust based relationships as the foundation for operational excellence, we need to add an experienced team leader, and someone who will coach the team leader and the team over time. Next, we need to co-create with them some challenging goals and support their ability and willingness to learn and to maintain perspective. This combination of elements will generate a positive flywheel of execution and continuous improvements. But it all begins with connections made over time.

I know this is true because one day after I speaking about operational excellence and team building in Kansas City, a man came up to me and said “You are 100% correct. It was not an easy lesson for me to learn, but once I learned it, I have never forgotten it. “And then he hugged me and wept.

Once the tears had passed, we found a quiet corner to visit. “Tell me your story about how this all happened”, I inquired.”

He replied, “I have a deep and profound passion for the mission of our organization and for our senior team. These are good people who believe in making a difference in the lives of those who are disadvantaged.

About a year ago, my young daughter was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. I promised her that I would go with her to every one of her chemo appointments no matter what was happening in my schedule. And I have kept this commitment.

One day at work, my team sat me down and said ‘We need to visit.’

As they continued, ‘Everyday for the last couple of weeks, you have come to work and gotten angry with staff. You have even yelled at people. 

This is not you. We know that you are really angry at the cancer, not at us. 

It hurts us to see you hurting. 

We need you to remember that we are a team. We stand tall before the challenges of those we serve and those who are serving. 

We will support you through this. We have built that level of connection to each other and the mission. So, remember be kind to us and yourself, and remember we are all in this together’.”

He paused to wipe his eyes and then continued, “I get the importance of connections. They are the key to unlocking so many problems and creating so many good opportunities.”

I smiled and said “Thank-you for being the kind of leader who lives their commitments and for role modeling the importance of receiving feedback well. You and your team have created a very special connection.”

“Yes,” he replied. “I do not take it for granted and I work to maintain it every day.”

We chatted for a little bit more and then he went on his way. 

Over the years, I have reflected on this experience and realized that making real connections with people is the alpha and omega of operational excellence. It is time for more people to do this on a day to day basis.

Geery Howe, M.A. Consultant, Executive Coach, Trainer in Leadership, Strategic Planning and Organizational Change Morning Star Associates 319 - 643 - 2257

No comments:

Post a Comment