Monday, April 1, 2019

Make a Commitment to Personal Improvement

Since early January, I have been writing about lessons learned from mentors of mine over the course of my career. Today is the final one I want to share with all of you.

We were drinking coffee together and discussing the subject of retirement.

“Once I choose to retire,” I said to one of the older members of my Kitchen Table Cabinet, “I am just not sure what I am going to do with myself. For the last 30+ years, I have been running my own business, traveling, teaching consulting and coaching a wide diversity of people. I have been going, going, going and then some. As I pass the line of 65, I don’t have a clue of what a life of not working full time will be like. What are your thoughts on this subject?”

He paused, smiled and said, “You will really struggle during the early stages of retirement. The pace and scope of all you have been doing has defined your life and work on so many levels. You think that once you retire, you will just move on to the next level of doing. A matter of fact most of your career to this point has been all about doing. Doing this. Doing that. But in the end, it’s just more doing. It will be hard for you at first.

The problem is how you frame up the next step. You think about 65 as a line. Before 65, you work. After 65, you do more but different work. 

As for me, I don’t frame things up in that way. I have watched a lot of men and women retire. Most do not handle it very well but those who do, choose to move from the question ‘What will I do once I am retired?’ to a different and more interesting question, namely ‘What do I want to learn?’. In my opinion, that is the better question and the better way to frame up retirement.

So, Geery, after 65, what do you want to learn? When you retire, you will have more time to pursue this interest. Therefore, now is the time to start exploring.”

I sat there in that coffee shop not too long ago and realized I had been handed an important bit of wisdom.  While I have not found the full answer to the question, I am definitely exploring various options.

This week, I challenge you to ask yourself the question: What do I want to learn? And then, make a commitment to personal improvement. It will be good for you, your family and many others within your circle of influence.

Geery Howe, M.A. Consultant, Executive Coach, Trainer in Leadership, Strategic Planning and Organizational Change Morning Star Associates 319 - 643 - 2257

No comments:

Post a Comment