Monday, January 7, 2019

The Importance of Being A Role Model and Mentor

Over the course of our lives, we as leaders will have numerous opportunities to be role models and mentors to many different people. We also will have the opportunity to engage with role models and mentors who will impact our life at work and at home. 

For me, there have been many teachers, friends and mentors who have impacted my life in a positive way. I consider these individuals to be valuable and important role models in my life journey. When I think of these people, I think of the many ways they have supported, encouraged and inspired me. And I am deeply grateful for all they have done to help me become the person I am today.

As we all enter this new year, each of us must realize that we can be that role model or mentor for someone else. Each day, we have the potential and the capacity to make a difference in the lives of others. Each day, we can role model as a parent, family member, coworker, or friend. We can be the one person who helps another person see a new perspective, come to a new understanding, or realize they have the potential and talent to rise to the challenges before them 

Over the course of this winter, I am going to share lessons and insights I have learned from the people who have mentored me in my life journey. Each individual was key to a new way of thinking and living. Each gave me something that I have carried forward to this day.

But this morning, I ask you to pause and realize that you could be that one person in someone else’s life. You could be the catalyst and source of support which completely transforms another person’s life. And remember, it is not always what you do but how you do it that is the foundation for this transformation. Sometimes it is just your presence, your showing up, listening and being attentive to another, that is the most powerful gift of all.

As Kevin Cashman wrote many years ago, “leaders get what they exhibit and what they tolerate.” My challenge to you is to be the role model you wish to see in the world. And my other challenge to you in this new year is to thank all those who have role modeled and mentored you to date. It is time we as leaders realize that a single person can make a profound and positive difference in the life of so many other people.

Geery Howe, M.A. Consultant, Executive Coach, Trainer in Leadership, Strategic Planning and Organizational Change Morning Star Associates 319 - 643 - 2257

No comments:

Post a Comment