Monday, November 27, 2023

A Big Question

During the last four months, I have had to ask a fair number of people a very big question: “Is this still the right job for you?”


Nine times out of ten, this stops the conversation. There is a long pause and then people reply, “Now that is a big question. And a good one. I haven’t thought about it from that angle. I really need to reflect on this. Thanks for making me think about it from that perspective.”


Now, some people respond quickly with “Definitely yes. I like this job. It is challenging in a good way.” Others pause and say, “No, I have outgrown this job. It is time for me to move on.”


I don’t ask this big question often, but at times it is the one we should ask ourselves to make sure we are moving in the right direction with our life, not just our jobs. 


For I have learned in my personal journey and as an executive coach that when we try to live a meaningful life within a meaningless job is not a recipe for success or a pathway to healthy living. Instead, it is a pathway to compromise, where potentially we end up not being true to our own values and to who we strive to be in the world. 


Therefore, at least once a year, it is time to pause and ask ourselves a very big question: “Is this still the right job for me?” If so, proceed accordingly. If not, begin the process of moving to a new path with better outcomes. The choice is ours to make and now is the time to think deeply about it. 


Geery Howe, M.A. Executive Coach in Leadership, Strategic Planning, and Organizational Change Morning Star Associates 319 - 643 - 2257

No comments:

Post a Comment