Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Get To Know Your People

Back in the seventies when I was in college, I participated in a semester long off-campus study program that involved backpacking and hiking through the three major desert areas in the United States. It was a turning point for me on so many levels.


After hiking large sections of the Grand Canyon and Organ Pipe National Monument, we traveled to Big Bend National Park to learn about the Chihuahuan desert. When we were done hiking in the Chisos Mountains, we spent time rafting on the Rio Grande through Santa Elena Canyon. 


Before we went through this amazing canyon with it’s 1,500 foot sheer canyon walls of limestone rising up from the rapids, we spent a couple of days rafting so we were comfortable working as a team while rafting, and following instructions from our river guide.


One late afternoon as we set up camp on a spit of land alongside the river, I noticed a northern Mexican cowboy crossing the water on his horse. As he came  out of the water dripping wet, he rode straight through our group until he was in front of our group leader. 


“I’ve seen you before,” he said in Spanish. “Last year at about this time of year, you came by here on a raft like this one with a different group of people. I noticed you are still wearing the same red hat.” Then he paused.


“I have been thinking about this for quite some time,” he continued. “So, today when I saw you again, I just had to come over and meet you. Not a lot of people show up here during this time of year. I am curious about who you are, what you are doing, and why.”


Given I had lived in Mexico the previous spring on a semester abroad program, our group leader, our river guide, and I entered into a discussion with the young man. We talked about our college studies and learning about the desert. He was fascinated.


Then, he shared about his world, moving cattle and caring for his herd. He showed us a new lariat that he had made from cactus fiber. He gave us an impressive roping demonstration. 


As the sun started to set, he got back on his horse. Before crossing the river, he turned and said, “I knew I had seen you before. Today, I just wanted to meet you and learn what you were doing. Thanks.”


I think about him today because if we are going to manage the many challenges that are surfacing this spring and create sustainable change along the way, then we must “cross the river” and get to know each other better. We must learn what others are doing, because successful organizational change is the sum of successful relationship changes. 


Geery Howe, M.A. Consultant, Executive Coach, Trainer in Leadership, Strategic Planning and Organizational Change Morning Star Associates 319 - 643 - 2257

No comments:

Post a Comment