Monday, September 12, 2022

Working Hard; Staying Humble

So many young leaders are taught and coached to “play hardball” with their people. Being “hard nosed” is seen as an appropriate course of action when solving problems and dealing with problem people. While I recognize that defining clear expectations is very important and will make a difference at the individual and team levels, I don’t think we spend enough talking with young leaders about being humble and respectful. 


I grow up in a world where hard work was respected and encouraged. “Do your best” was a phrase my parents often said. Many of the first team leaders I ever worked with believed in it as well. But being hard and harsh with people was never tolerated. 


My elders and my first supervisors understood that there was “always more to the story.” When someone was struggling, they knew something was going on at work or at home that was impacting them, and, maybe, even creating the problems at work. 


They always encouraged me to be respectful and humble, because one day I may be “in their shoes.” And then, I would want people to give me some patience, grace, and kindness. I have never forgotten these important lessons. 


This week, I encourage you to work hard and “to give it your best shot.” Then, be humble as you move through your days. Learning to be a great leader takes time, experience, and the capacity to keep learning every step of the way. 


Geery Howe, M.A. Consultant, Executive Coach, Trainer in Leadership, Strategic Planning and Organizational Change Morning Star Associates 319 - 643 - 2257

No comments:

Post a Comment